One more Bonus to add to Stuart's comments:  there are two more exceptions,
which follow the same syntax as the Domain Users group. These are the Domain
Computers and the Domain Controllers Groups.  I sure hope you never have
more than 5000 DCs in a domain, but you'll likely have more than 5000
computers in a domain.  If this group was not added as the "Primary Group"
to every computer account (in the same way as Domain Users to every user
account), you'd run into the same issues for replication as you would for
any other group.

People forget, that Computers are security principals in AD and thus can be
added to groups just like users can.  This can be leveraged for GPO
filtering and general access to AD data via the local system account of the
machine.

An example where you would want to use the Domain Computers group is, when
you want to hide the OU that contains the computer objects from the normal
users.  You'd typically remove the READ permissions for the Authenticated
Users on that OU and grant only the appropriate operators group the
permissions you want.
=> the Problem: you've just taken away the possiblity of the computer
objects to read the GPO of the OU that they belong to...
=> the Solution: you grant the _Domain Computers_ group READ permissions on
the OU.  This will restrict users but not computers from reading the data in
AD, thus the computers are able read the GPO and live happily ever after.

/Guido