I had a similar problem with the store not booting. It requires NNTP to host mailboxes. Once I loaded NNTP, it worked like a charm.

Marc Zukerman
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 12:27 PM
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] OT: Exchange 2000

I have seen something similar to this before.  I had installed Exchange2k and rebooted the server.  The services would fail to start and I could not start them manually.  I ended up re-installing everything on the box and tried rebooting again, same thing happened.  I reinstalled a third time and then I installed Exchange service pack 2 before I rebooted, and everything came up fine.  I have talked with a few people after the fact and they had no explanation as to what exactly was going on, but it worked with SP2.  On similar hardware I have been able to reproduce the scenario, so maybe it has something to do with the hardware configuration.

At any rate, you can’t install service pack 2 unless all services are running, so you have to install it right after you install Exchange, BEFORE the initial reboot.  I hope this helps with your problem.  As a side note, I did NOT install Exchange on a DC, it was a member server.

Travis Riddle