Ahhhh... I think I may get it... ;)

So what you are doing is loading up the MMC, choosing Computer management,
and the choosing connect to a computer.  And you fail when you use the FQDN
for the computer in the connect box??  And you work when you put in the IP
address or just the NetBIOS name??

Remembering your other posts about DNS, then this is a probably a DNS issue.
FQDN (e.g. "my.pretty.good.network.com") are resolved by DNS.  NetBIOS names
(e.g. "my") are resolved by the WINS server or by local network segment
broadcast.  If your DNS servers don't allow dynamic registration then your
workstations will not be in the DNS and therefore not pingable/reachable by
FQDN.

Can you ping the workstation from the MMC computer by FQDN? If not, then DNS
registration is the issue.  You have to have an record in the DNS for the
workstation for FQDN name resolution to work.  Otherwise you need to fall
back to the other (e.g. WINS or network segment broadcast) forms of name
resolution to reach the computer.  I believe the dynamic DNS issue was the
gist of Jonathan Carr's message.  Are you running W2K DNS for your AD and
your client workstations??  If so, check the allow dynamic registration and
your W2K and XP workstation will automagically register and you can use the
FQDN instead of the NetBIOS name.  Although I am usually much too lazy to
type in the FQDN... :p

-Stuart Fuller
State of Montana