-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Sumilang [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2003 3:31 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Fuller,

You are right on the dot :-)

I turned on dynamic registration on the dns server by going to DNS
Snap-in -> Forward Lookup Zones -> MyServerName -> MyDomainName, right
clicked MyDomainName and clicked on properties and selected "Yes" from
the allow dynamic updates drop down menu. I believe on most or everyones
network cards here have checked "Register this connection's address in
DNS" under their Advanced TCP/IP Settings if that what you are talking
about with the dynamic registration.

I added a computer to the DNS manually, ex: Right clicked domain in DNS
Snap-and and clicked add host... Added computer2 (which in turn equal
computer2.mydomain.com) with ip of 192.168.0.16. I can now ping it from
the command prompt and open it in the computer management snap-in BUT I
have DHCP running on my network so the IP could probably be different
tommorrow? Also, shouldn't there be a automated way of the DNS keeping
track of all the computers joining the network so I don't have to
manually input each of them?

- Richard S.

On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 10:06  PM, Fuller, Stuart wrote:

> Ahhhh... I think I may get it... ;)
>
> So what you are doing is loading up the MMC, choosing Computer
> management, and the choosing connect to a computer.  And you fail when

> you use the FQDN for the computer in the connect box??  And you work
> when you put in the IP address or just the NetBIOS name??
>
> Remembering your other posts about DNS, then this is a probably a DNS
> issue.
> FQDN (e.g. "my.pretty.good.network.com") are resolved by DNS.  NetBIOS

> names (e.g. "my") are resolved by the WINS server or by local network
> segment broadcast.  If your DNS servers don't allow dynamic
> registration then your workstations will not be in the DNS and
> therefore not pingable/reachable by FQDN.
>
> Can you ping the workstation from the MMC computer by FQDN? If not,
> then DNS registration is the issue.  You have to have an record in the

> DNS for the workstation for FQDN name resolution to work.  Otherwise
> you need to fall back to the other (e.g. WINS or network segment
> broadcast) forms of name resolution to reach the computer.  I believe
> the dynamic DNS issue was the gist of Jonathan Carr's message.  Are
> you running W2K DNS for your AD and your client workstations??  If so,

> check the allow dynamic registration and your W2K and XP workstation
> will automagically register and you can use the FQDN instead of the
> NetBIOS name.  Although I am usually much too lazy to type in the
> FQDN... :p
>
> -Stuart Fuller
> State of Montana

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/list_faq.htm
List archive:

This email message may contain information that is confidential and proprietary to
Babcock & Brown or a third party.  If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender and destroy the original and any copies of the original message.
Babcock & Brown takes measures to protect the content of its communications.  However,
Babcock & Brown cannot guarantee that email messages will not be intercepted by third
parties or that email messages will be free of errors or viruses.

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/list_faq.htm