Please attach the netsetup.log and netlogon.log from the debug directory of the system.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Lara Adianto
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 3:16 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ActiveDir] failed to locate a DC...

Hello,

I have been struggling with this problem for almost a day, and hope to get a hand through this mailing list.

The problem is that I can't make a windows2000 prof. client to join a w2k domain.

I'm using a win2k server as the DNS and AD server.

When I tried to add the client to the domain, the following message box popped up:

The following error occurred valiedating the name 'my.domain.com'

This condition may be caused by a DNS lookup problem. For more information about troubleshooting common DNS lookup problems, please see the following Microsoft Web site: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=5171

Believe it or not, I have followed every single step stated in the link to resolve the problem of 'error during domain join'

Then...I used some tools to find the DC in my win2k server:

%NLTEST /DSGETDC:my.domain.com

DcGetDcName failed: status = 1355 0x54b ERROR_NO_SUCH_DOMAIN

%NETDIAG /TEST:DSGETDC /D:my.domain.com

-- snip --

Domain membership test...............................:failed

[WARNING]: The system volume has not been completely replicated to the local machine. This machine is not working properly as a DC.

---

DC discovery test.........................: failed

Find DC in domain 'my.domain': [FATAL] Cannot Find DC in domain 'my.domain'. [ERROR_NO_SUCH_DOMAIN]

I was thinking to dcpromo my AD, and restart everything from the beginning.

Well, maybe my DNS and AD setup are not correct or they are somehow corrupted.

But dcpromo also failed to find a DC !! It says: Failed finding a suitable domain controller for the domain "The specified domain either doesn't exist or could not be contacted"

I tried to delete my DNS record as well. It seems to be deleted, but when I closed the window and opened it again, the record was still there. Was it deleted ?

Now I'm really2 stucked.

Please help me,

lara

ps: btw, pinging the machine does work