From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 12 May 2004 21:37
To: ActiveDir (E-mail)
Subject: [ActiveDir] A root dc question

My apologies if this seems basic and/or silly.

Aside from creating new domains or modifying the schema, why would an
admin need access to the root dc of a forest(the schema, domain namming
master)?
furthermore, why would an admin in a child domain need enterprise admin
privilges?

I only ask because we had issues with our test DR run wherein we didn't
have access to the root domain and/or a test root domain vmware'd on a
laptop and it ended miserably.
i am in the process of convincing the higher ups in my corp of letting
our IT dept have enterpise admin access.
i'd like to make a case for us as to why we would need this accont with
concrete examples(aside from the DR one). ones that a semi tech aware
CIO could relate to.
What other compelling reasons would one need these rights for in day to
day(or not so day to day) AD administration?

we are a multi-domain(14) win2k forest in mixed mode with exchange2k in
native mode.

Thank you in advance for any assitance.