-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kern, Tom
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 4:37 PM
To: ActiveDir (E-mail)
Subject: [ActiveDir] A root dc question

My apologies if this seems basic and/or silly.

Aside from creating new domains or modifying the schema, why would an admin
need access to the root dc of a forest(the schema, domain namming master)?
furthermore, why would an admin in a child domain need enterprise admin
privilges?

I only ask because we had issues with our test DR run wherein we didn't have
access to the root domain and/or a test root domain vmware'd on a laptop and
it ended miserably.
i am in the process of convincing the higher ups in my corp of letting our
IT dept have enterpise admin access.
i'd like to make a case for us as to why we would need this accont with
concrete examples(aside from the DR one). ones that a semi tech aware CIO
could relate to.
What other compelling reasons would one need these rights for in day to
day(or not so day to day) AD administration?

we are a multi-domain(14) win2k forest in mixed mode with exchange2k in
native mode.

Thank you in advance for any assitance.