I read Joe's comments as not creating a lag site per-se, but using virtual
DC's which are periodically saved (I'll refrain from saying backed up since
it's not a "backup", as was recently discussed) in order to perform a
Forest-wide recovery.  I don't think he was referring to recovery of a few
deleted objects.

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx