Hey Tom - sounds like fun.

The phrase "they are cut of from the root domain physically" combined
with "both dns zones are in the root and they don't have any dns
locally" sounds a bit unrealistic - this should naturally cause numerous
replication issues; basically nothing should work (even normal
authentication) as it all requires DNS lookup.

So I'm guessing that you do have some DNS servers in your child domains
and it would be worthwhile for you to check if there are any secondary
zones from the root domain (or the _msdcs subzone) being hosted on your
child DCs or another DNS server used in your network.  But your task
doesn't seem to be fixing the current AD implementation, but rather to
move away from it.

DNS name-resolution is critical for any kind of trust in AD (except for
trusts to NT4 domains which is not your scenario), however, you do not
require EA permissions to set them up from your child domain to another
domain in a new forest.  But naturally you won't be able to creat a
forest-trust (i.e. from root of current forest to root of new forest).

The names of those domains that are directly trusted can NOT be the same
(need to have different NetBios domain names).

So yes, migration should work and even if you don't want to fix the
current caos, you should ensure that DNS works well (in worst case
concentrate on creating a workaround just for your child-domain - which
should be sufficient for trust creation to your new forest where I'm
sure you fully control DNS).

/Guido