Your pint is (unfortunately) all valid. However, since OP is already using
VBScript, it would be not too much of an effort to make yourself comfortable
with regexp's.
I could also argue that automation one of most important tasks in system
administration and therefore scripting is a 'must know' for nearly every sys
admin (think about MSH - it will IMO _enforce_ this requirement). But this
would be well out of the scope of the topic.

> Oh, the API call is NetValidatePasswordPolicy
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-
> us/netmgmt/net
> mgmt/netvalidatepasswordpolicy.asp

I'm not a programmer so I can't say for sure but it seems that this function
does not return specific information about which exactly part of complexity
requirements a password does not comply with. Since we are talking about
custom app here it would be nice to provide an app user with such
information. Manual input validation with regexp's addresses this at least
partially (save password history).

--
Al