Oh.. let's see.. patches Adobe and Flash and many of the other third party stuff I have in my office. Not to mention [I think] easier interface that WSUS as it only shows patches you need and lists them with the year-patch number that I know not the KB number I don't.

Besides.. as a SBSer who patches everything including the kitchen sink service, Shavlik was there for me three years ago when I needed a patching program and WSUS was still SUS and on the drawing board and not supported on SBS boxes.

Za Vue wrote:

We tested on wkstations and servers and decided it was not worth the hefty price. My opinion is that it is too slow, tested on a duel CPU P4 system. (Personally I think the GUI is ugly) We ran into firewall issues as well. I have a dedicated W23K server for WSUS, no problem.

Microsoft workstations, Microsoft servers, why not make everything Microsoft? Makes life easier in my environment. Now if I can only get rid of those damn Macs.

Z.V.

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP] wrote:

Shavlik runs from my Desktop.

Za Vue wrote:

Pretty much all patch management applications require a server.

-Z.V.

Pohlschneider, Chris wrote:

Does anyone have recommendations for patch management software that could be installed on a desktop type system to manage a network with 120 nodes for updates and patches. I was looking at WSUS, but the requirements are that
you need a server OS, plus the minimum requirements were pretty stout.
Thanks in advance for recommendations!!

Chris Pohlschneider
Network Administrator
Cenveo-Sidney
937-497-2136
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Cenveo is your visual communications connection for a broad portfolio of services and products including eServices, envelopes, offset and digital printing, labels and business documents