Yeah I read your posts and I think "it depends" is the standard but good
answer. Everything else is kind of hard. I don't expect there are many
occasions where you get to build from scratch, you are usually building from
some form of infrastructure that you have to keep in mind.

Would I be willing to do a "best practices" book. No. I am just no so sure I
believe in "best practices" strong enough to publish something saying this
is what they are. As Susan often points out the best practices can very
tremendously where you are.

I have several ideas bouncing around in my head with what I may do. One I
can visualize being done is probably a conversational type book with cool
tech questions I have answered say over the last several years with maybe
further discussion and more details behind the answers. Probably break it up
into some general tech sections. That would give me the most freedom I think
in how and what I write so end up liking it but not sure how well it would
sell. I would probably just do that through a no-name publisher so the book
could be low cost. Another would be a series of a couple of books that just
focused on some specific things and really tried to dig into them. AD is a
huge topic and it really doesn't do it justice to try to cover tons of the
tech in a single book, no one ever seems to get through it and what you do
get through stops short on the depth of where you might want it to go. Or at
least I have seen that myself in books in many tech areas. If this book ends
up selling really well then I will that be more geeked about writing some
more. I look at myself as a normal joe and find it difficult to see why
people would pay to read something I write (especially when they can read
what I write for free all over the place). It is one of the reasons why my
tools are free. I figure, why pay for something you could pretty much do
yourself if you really needed it that bad. It is more about fun for me
though I wouldn't mind somehow figuring out how to make it big doing it.

One idea for the best practices may be just to grab a group of experts or if
you chose, a group of MVPs so you can call it the MVP AD Best Practices or
something like that and let them all duke it out over what would be the best
practice. As we have seen from this list several times, best practices are
things that people have different opinions about. Look at the empty root
discussion as a great example. You will find people that are gung ho empty
root, some that are gung ho against it, some that are sort of against it but
won't really fight you and some that are sort of for it but won't really
fight you.