From: Rocky Habeeb [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 8:56 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] OT: speaking of AD books...

As always, thanks joe for responding to my query which was only half
heartededly posed.  The other half was deadly serious.  To be honest, I
think that many of the experts who post on this group have lost site of what
it's like to work in a small shop.  WE DO EVERYTHING THAT NEEDS TO BE DONE
FROM SOUP TO NUTS.  We unload FedEx trucks and then go install Oracle 9i.
We build PCs from scratch and then go backup servers over a VPN using DAT
drives (because we cannot get an integrated solution to do it).  How do you
automate things like the following:

[1] Spending 30 minutes cleaning with alcohol and swabs the fuser roll of an
HP 8100 printer so it prints without streaks?
[2] Troubleshoot an HP Kayak XU800 that for months worked fine and now
reboots at will?
[3] Perform file maintenance on 8 major servers comprising 1 TB because
Users will not clean off data and drives are maxxed?
[4] Figure out why an Executive VP's Eudora email is consistently crashing?
[5] Install and configure client supplied custom software on 10 new PCs for
work with a high profile client? (Did I mention that some PCs are NT, some
W2K and some XP and the software will only work on  ... well ... guess which
ones?  We have to figure it out) [1] [6] Download patches for surveying
program software that has to be installed on laptops that are in the field
(ie: unaccessible) and waiting updates because TOPCON GPS Surveying
instruments will not work until they see the patch?
[7] Determine why a quarter million dollar Citrix farm routinely crashes
ESRI arcGIS 9.0 taking with it the entire production of 20 Users and
corrupting an Oracle database as a bonus?
[8] Remotely trying to troubleshoot why a color printer in a remote site all
of a sudden won't print?
[9] Trying to figure out why, all of a sudden, an Adaptec snap server
(running Linux under windows) now decides no one has permission to read it?
[10] Oh! The custom Timesheet application that Accounting put in place now,
all of a sudden, has lost all of the timesheets for this week.  Where did
they go?

Fact is, I could go on like this for 10 more pages and not repeat a single
item above,  I swear that is not an exaggeration.  Fact is, in the past 6
years, I have not come to work one single day and not faced a brand new
problem that no one has ever seen before.  No lie!  You can't automate my
life.  You can't build scripts to do virtually any of this.  Yes you could
build scripts to do some, but it would not make a difference in the number
of hours per week I work.  Yes I could choose to work 40 hours per week and
no one tells me to work 50, 60 or 70.  But the work I don't get done today
will be here tomorrow.

I should be fixing problems right now, but I watch this list like a hawk
because I know, something I read from one of the masters is going to save my
life (read a__) some day and if I fail to see it then, shame on me.  Well,
your next question is going to be "How do you have time to write all this if
you're so busy?"  I take the time, just like you do.  You can't tell me that
you are less busy than me.    I'm pretty sure you're not, but just answer me
this.  When you were in ops, did you have the breadth of problems that I
describe above?  If so, then sign me:

YMYMYM because you "ARE" the master.  If so, really help me out.  Tell me
how to automate the above ten items.  Everything you and the others say is
true, but unless you're living in my world, these solutions don't help me.

But I still love you, ;-)

[1] "YES, I know standardize."  I would if I had the money, but 50% of the
capital spending budget is going to buy a new airplane this year.  Sorry, I
can't "show you the money."

RH