Your subject is your answer. They need to justify a root domain. Is
there an actual reason for it?

There are only three reasons to have one, imho....(cut and pasted from a
google search)

1. Security requirements are different (password, lockout, and Kerberos
policies must be applied at the domain level).
2. To control/limit replication (but note the recommendations for number
of
objects in a domain with slow links - if the slowest link is 56 kbps,
the
domain should have no more than 100,000 users).
3. Because you inherit a multiple domain setup.

I question number three myself. I would rather clean it up than continue
with a past decision but I guess that depends upon the impact to
operations and the complexity of consolidation.

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx