From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of joe
Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2006 9:23 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Why not browsing - was Multihomed Domain Controllers

In larger companies browsing really isn't used all that much as there are quite a few things that can screw it up. It is entirely a broadcast based mechanism and I have seen several companies just start disabling the browsing service altogether to help alleviate browe master wars, etc. On 10Mbs ethernet that could be especially problematic and a small scale browse war could saturate the network. If you actually have an issue with browsing you will talk to MSFT and find out that most of that isn't even supported, or at least that was my experience early on when trying to get some support with some browsing issues and started learning how it all works back in about 1997 or so.

So how do people find resources in large companies? A couple of ways:

The first is standard namings of resources. For instance, in one large company there are pretty much only six share names that are allowed

1. SYSVOL for reasons obvious to this crowd

2. NETLOGON for reasons obvious to this crowd plus local member servers used as home drive serves can use this share name if they want to implement secondary logon scripts that are managed by the local site admins

3. The home directory shares on the home server which are named as \\server\samaccountname$ (the $ hides the share from casual enumeration with net view or the Windows standard tools)

4. SDS$ which is a share for the homebrew software delivery system

5. \\server\APPS which is a share that contains all application installation packages as well as apps that run across the network. For the latter say you have a simple app that doesn't need to update the local machine to run, it can be run right from the share. This share was set up as a null session share so even machines could connect and run things from it (say for software delivery) without having to depend on kerberos and specifically granting access.

6. \\server\PROJ which is a share that contains shared project data for the site. There are subfolders under the root of the share that are ACLed for the various groups that need a dedicated folder. The permissions are very simple as well... the groups will be named something like PREFIX-Foldername-R or PREFIX-Foldername, the first gives read access, the second gives change access. The prefix will usually be a site code but if there are multiple proj servers involved it will likely be sitecode-servername.

Usually a given site will have but a single PROJ and APPS server which is usually named sitecode0001. So any site I go into, If I know the site code for the building (which is the start of the name of every PC in the building) then I know how to find proj and apps.

On the occasions (generally rare) that the data for a project needs to be used in another site you are told what the server name is that you need to connect to.

The second is to publish resources in Active Directory. This is fairly common for printers though more and more I seem to be seeing people just sticking a sign up on local printers with the queue name and DNS name to avoid someone moron from accidently picking a printer somewhere he shouldn't be printing and sending some huge print job to it. Or even worse, purposely looking for printers with capabilties they want but not really a printer they should be able to use so in order to stop them you have to start ACLing the printers which can be a pain to manage - an example here would be giant plotters capable of doing wall sized plots or really nice die transfer printers or high high end color laser printers.

--

O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition - http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm