There are a few times where upgrading is easier than installing fresh and doesn't have that big of an impact... but most times I prefer to simply install fresh.

There are only a few examples of where I think that upgrading is better or easier overall:

1) Workstations -- I'd rather upgrade a Win2k Pro (or even WinXP Home) box than reinstall the OS *and* all the software and worry about user settings/data.

2) When a piece of software requires an in-place upgrade instead of allowing a multi-homed approach.  Not a large number of these, but enough to where most people should check their software to see if it will support being migrated to another box (the fresh install) while live.

Other than those 2 (there are a few others like the example given by Jorge), there aren't many reasons to not install fresh and sometimes upgrading ends up with other problems appearing that weren't there before.