Print Queue objects are created by default under the computer on which the
printers are shared from. It is, in fact, IMO, an extremely logical way of
handling it since you don't have to worry about delegating permissions to
print admins, the computer itself can create/delete them as necessary. MSMQ
Queues are handled the same way as lots of objects, in my default R2 forest
this is a list that can be handled this way

applicationVersion
classStore
comConnectionPoint
dSA
indexServerCatalog
intellimirrorSCP
ipsecFilter
ipsecISAKMPPolicy
ipsecNegotiationPolicy
ipsecNFA
ipsecPolicy
msDFSR-LocalSettings
msDS-App-Configuration
msDS-AppData
msieee80211-Policy
mSMQConfiguration
mS-SQL-OLAPServer
mS-SQL-SQLServer
nTFRSSubscriptions
printQueue
remoteStorageServicePoint
rpcGroup
rpcProfile
rpcProfileElement
rpcServer
rpcServerElement
rRASAdministrationConnectionPoint
serviceAdministrationPoint
serviceConnectionPoint
serviceInstance
storage
Volume

As for why they are third class citizens in AD... I expect it is because
they are. I haven't done excessive investigation into how printers are
handled but I expect the print queue objects in AD are simply reflections of
the actual print queues on the servers. I don't expect you actually manage
anything in AD for them, you manage them on the server/ws and then the print
spooler updates any info it wants in AD. Certainly you find them in AD but
that just tells the underlying software where to go look and the software
goes to that print queue directly on that server. I am pretty confident that
if you delete a print queue object in AD the print queue will work continue
to work fine on the server still, you just can't locate it via the AD.
Contrast that with users, groups, computers, and other objects I expect you
consider first class citizens. If you delete those types of objects, you
will find they no longer work at all. :)  You will note that when you create
a queue, you get the option to publish it to the directory, it isn't
mandatory, not required, it is simply an option.