But if a printer is not shared out to the network, is it a network device?
It can only be used on the local machine.

Do you want every local printer on every single machine in a company showing
up in the directory? Consider a large multinational with hundreds of
thousands of desktops and thousands with local printers that aren't shared.
Then you want a printer with a certain capability in a certain site and you
look and find one in the directory but it isn't actually shared out. You try
to print to it, you can't. You call IT. They look into it and chase it to an
exec who is like piss off. :) You tell the person they can't use it and they
get snotty because everyone is better and more important than IT. :)
Horrible escalations. :)

You could always create your own printqueue objects for your non-shared
printers. It sounds like they would get zilched back out of the directory
from the process Brian mentioned unless you disable the pruning. The other
issue would be the manadatory attribute for the share name but you could
give it would be if it were shared. I don't know what this would buy except
that you can see them when browsing AD.

--
O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition -
http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm