FIPS 112 - Password Usage:
http://www.itl.nist.gov/fipspubs/fip112.htm

*3.3 Lifetime*

The security provided by a password depends on its composition, its length, and its protection from disclosure and substitution. The risk associated with an undetected compromise of a password can be minimized by frequent change. If a password has been compromised in some way and if a new password is created that is totally independent of the old password, then the continued risk associated with the old password is reduced to zero. Passwords thus should be changed on a periodic basis and must be changed whenever their compromise is suspected or confirmed.

The useful lifetime of a password depends on several variables, including:

   * The cost of replacing a password;
   * The risk associated with compromise;
   * The risk associated with distribution;
   * The probability of "guessing" a password;
   * The number of times the password has been used;
   * The work of finding a password using exhaustive trial and error
     methods.

Password systems should have the capability of replacing the password quickly, initiated either by the user or the Security Officer. Passwords should be changed voluntarily by the owner whenever compromise is suspected and should be changed periodically with a maximum interval selected by the Security Officer. The interval may be a period of time or depend on a number of uses. The password system itself should have automated features which enforce the change schedule and all the security criteria for the installation. The system should check that the new password is not the same as the previous password. Very sensitive applications may require that a new password not be the same as any of the previous two, three, ..., N passwords. Such a system requires storage for N passwords for each user. It should not be a requirement of a system that the password for each user be unique. Having a new password rejected for this reason confirms that another user has the password.

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP] wrote:
Password cracking programs are why passwords are changed

The Great Debates: Pass Phrases vs. Passwords. Part 1 of 3:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/secnews/articles/itproviewpoint091004.mspx
The Great Debates: Pass Phrases vs. Passwords. Part 2 of 3:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/secnews/articles/itproviewpoint100504.mspx

Ramon Linan wrote:
All this comments are great, does anyone have a url or document with a
list of reason for having the passwords expiring or explaining why it is
not a good thing to have non-expiring password?

Thanks