Ah interesting.  For tasks related specifically to technically
proficient IT personnel, I prefer to keep it simple (from the standpoint
of application layers in between the user and the completed task).  I
delegate granular rights, give them the adminpak, and tell them what
they can and can't do.  If they try to do something they can't do, they
just get an access denied error anyway.  There are no additional layers
of software to make things overly complex (and easier to break).

For non-IT personnel, that's where having an alternative front-end is
nice.  In our case, we have an in-house developed web based application
that allows our HR department to directly create and disable user
accounts as well as do other minor configuration such as mailbox
enabling.  This addressed a communications gap in which HR and IT would
not communicate effectively enough and new and terminated employees
would not have accounts created or disabled in a timely manner.  Now
that HR has the ability to do that themselves, the process has been
streamlined and things in general run a lot smoother.

This same web based application also acts as our internal corporate
directory.

~Ben