Personally, I see the Account Operators group as going far beyond the
principle of least privilege.  I simply have not run across a helpdesk
that actually requires the privileges on a scale that the built-in
Account Operators group provides.  Most helpdesk personnel will do the
majority of their account related work through joining computers to the
domain, reset computer accounts, reset user passwords, and unlock user
accounts.

On top of that, if you've arranged your OU structure so user accounts
and computer accounts are split up in a meaningful manner, then more
than likely the helpdesk personnel only need rights to do their limited
tasks (that I stated above) in only a few OUs.

Account Operator pretty much gives blanket full control to all user and
computer accounts in all OUs and that just seems overboard to me.  Not
to mention (with default settings) members of the Account Operators
group have the ability to log on locally to Domain Controllers which I
would expect is probably something most helpdesk personnel should not be
doing.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I much prefer to work at giving
people the permissions they need to do their job and nothing more (or as
close to nothing as possible).  I've found that user error is the most
likely type of issue to arise and when you limit the rights of users to
only what they need, you end up significantly reducing your own workload
by preventing major issues from occurring in the first place.