Not sure why this suprises you. The ACLs are not maintained by AD nor the
SAM where the user accounts exist which means you either get to poll or put
some form of notification system in process. Consider also the case of
trusted security principals, systems don't get a notification when a trusted
system deletes a security principal.

Here are just a couple of the bad things that could happen if the machines
were responsible for cleaning up those SIDs

1. Overhead. Do you know the sheer number of Security Descriptors that are
on any given system? You are just thinking of file Security Descriptors but
there are Security Descriptors on many many different securable objects. I
have published the list of items I at least know about to this list on a
couple of occasions and the different types of objects alone is double
digits let alone the actual instants of those objects. Consider a file
system with hundreds of thousands or millions of Security Descriptors with
really long ACL chains. You could have a scavenger thread running 24x7 in
idle mode (you wouldn't want it higher as it would eat up CPU and that would
be a different complaint) just constantly walking the ACLs and verifying
them.

2. Mistakes. Since we don't have a change notification capability for
deleted security principals, and quite honestly you wouldn't (could you
imagine 300,000 machines registering with every domain in your forest for
change notifications of security principal changes) so that leaves polling
and lets say you have a tempory network glitch that makes a SID unresolvable
to a friendly name... Do you then just start stripping the SIDs from the
ACLs because a name can't be resolved once, twice, three times? What about
when an account gets undeleted or restored because it was accidently deleted
for an hour?

I can think of even more bad things but don't have the time to write about
them. If you want to, think through how you would build an application to do
what you are suggesting. It is always a good thought exercise before being
surprised at what MSFT has done. Keep in mind they are a collection of
really bright programmers that often have to work in committee, they aren't
necessarily miracle workers.

Could this be done? Maybe. I think could visualize mechanisms to possibly
help here but would really have to think it through even more than I have
and I have thought a lot about things like this... But it would take serious
rework with how security is implemented on Windows and I would be quite
fearful of the scaling capabilities. The Windows security system is
difficult to work with and can be quite a pain but it is extremely flexible
and powerful at the same time. I have started and stopped several times to
write all inclusive security tracking tools, it is a big big deal and if
done wrong will really make someone have a bad day.

As someone else mentioned, use groups. Don't use users. When you go to
delete a group, make it a point to clean up where that group has been used.
If you don't know where it has been used, that is a process issue and one of
the reasons why I am not a fan of universal and global groups because the
scope of use is huge. Alternately write your own tools to scan all of the
various ACLs looking for unresolvable SIDs and clean them up, but I would be
shy on how agressive you are with the cleanup. You can easily screw yourself
up.

O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition -
http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm

  _____