We generally do not pay for any data plans for any devices directly.  We
have a stipend program for some select employees whose jobs require hour
contact.  The policy is here:

https://www.oakland.edu/policies/business-and-finance/206/

Executives used to get a one-time stipend for the actual phone, but I don't
think that's been used for a while.  All phones are personally owned
devices.  We treat tablets like any other computer, but we don't allow
university funds to buy data plans.  There is much discussion about
eliminating the policy and require a cell phone as part of a job
description.    Two VPs really want to implement that this year; we'll see.

Theresa

Theresa Rowe
Chief Information Officer
Oakland University