> On Jul 2, 2026, at 20:59, Randy Bush <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Can you give the list some concrete examples of these deployment
>> models that cause tension with the current end-site definition and/or
>> interpretation?
>
> PD gone wild
>
> e.g. if <broadband provider> PDs me a /56 and i split it out to
> neighbors
Ok, I'll bite :)
Our current end-site definition:
2.9. End Site
An End Site is defined as the location of an End User (subscriber) who has a
business or legal relationship (same or associated entities) with a service
provider that involves:-
- that service provider assigning address space to the End User location
- that service provider providing transit service for the End User location to
other sites
- that service provider carrying the End User's location traffic
- that service provider advertising an aggregate prefix route that contains the
End User's location assignment
Even if the deployment model that you describe happens, I think it would be
pretty rare:
You could be considered a service provider if we stretch the concept a little
bit. And if we apply the definition to that, we get:
- You could argue that you're assigning address space to your neighbors,
although it would be a sub-assignment, which is problematic.
- You are providing transit to your neighbors
- You are carrying your neighbors' location traffic
So far so good, but:
- There has to be a legal or business relationship between you and your
neighbors. I'm not sure if "we're all buddies here" would qualify as such.
- Given that your ISP PDs you the /56 I would say there is no BGP or anything
like that involved, so you would not be advertising an aggregate prefix.
So I would argue that under the current definition and the scenario you
describe, your neighbors would not qualify as end-sites.
And they shouldn't until you get your act together and set up a proper service
provider with ASN, peering, LIR account, etc :)
So I don't see much tension here.
Cheers,
Alex
Wearing his Random Internet Nerd hat
-----
To unsubscribe from this mailing list or change your subscription options,
please visit:
https://mailman.ripe.net/mailman3/lists/address-policy-wg.ripe.net/
As we have migrated to Mailman 3, you will need to create an account with the
email matching your subscription before you can change your settings.
More details at: https://www.ripe.net/membership/mail/mailman-3-migration/