On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Yuri Gribov <tetra2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You call __asan_report_load8 directly.
>> This will only work if __asan_load8 does not have its own frame.
>
> You mean you don't want asan callbacks to be present in stacktraces?
That too, but we also need to be able to unwind properly.
Generally, unless we call GET_CALLER_PC_BP_SP directly from the
function called from the user code
we are not guaranteed to get correct stack trace (since asan-rt is
built w/o frame pointers).

>> My version lacked the UNLIKELY trick. fixed.
>
> Cool, upstream code seems to run really fast now: 16 sec. (vs my 17.8
> sec.). Looks like outline overhead is only 300% now (compared to 200%
> for normal inline ASan) which is probably acceptable. And we'll have
> to work around ABI to improve further.
>
> Some suggestions:
> * can we move separate calls for begin/end for intrinsics (and larger
> memory accesses) into callbacks ?
> * can we remove check for size == 0 and perform it in callback instead ?
> I can submit a patch if you are ok with those.

Hold on a bit here. First, my recent patches have a bug around
handling of memset&co,
second I am considering to competely replace memset&co calls with
another function call -- this will solve some other problems as well,
but it needs performance evaluation...

> BTW note that we will suffer significant PLT penalty in sanitized shared libs.

Don't use shared libs :)

--kcc