Well the community seems to have spoken. I've just had the benefit of dealing with a "niche" set of usecases and it helped to be able to track down the original developer of some of the code because they no longer monitor the lists. The snv blame tool (in ASF) pretty much tells you who committed the code, not who knows it. Still, I do see the compelling arguments to the contrary. I still hold though that @author does not equal "owner" and that a community like Apache just needs to get over that view of the world.

That being said, I suppose I don't feel too strongly about it. If nobody knows about the code in general then chances are nobodies using or maintaining the code and it's probably time to develop some new expertise anyway. So I'll move to a +0 non-binding.

Scott

Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
My personal policy is to redirect personal appeals for help to the
appropriate user mailing list.  I would encourage other developers who
receive individual help requests to do the same.

+1
doing the same. not getting 20 a day/week like you, but the pattern is
a good one

-M

Craig