I agree as well.  There's something a little nice about
@author tags as a way of giving credit to the people
who aren't the obvious people on a project.  But they're
rarely kept up to date, and the implication of ownership
is not very OSS-friendly.

-- Adam

On 2/26/07, Craig McClanahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 2/26/07, Scott O'Bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> -1 for removing them.  I don't see this as an "ownership" issue.  It's
> helpful to know who in the community might be able to answer questions
> on a particular piece of code.  I know with the Portal work I did, it
> was very handy to know WHO had written a piece of code, especially since
> they may not me monitoring the lists.

This argument does not scale in the long term.  My own experience is a
case in point -- my name is still splattered over lots of the Catalina
sources inside Tomcat, even though:

* I have not worked on them for four years (but I still get >20 personal
  emails for Tomcat help every week).

* In many cases, the number of lines of code that were "mine" originally
  is less than half of the total -- so the tag is totally misleading.

* The real people you want to talk to are the ones who have been making
  recent commits, not whoever wrote the code in the first place.

I am strongly i+1 on removing @author tags, for the community related
reasons that have been previously published.

Craig McClanahan