Any of the factional membership tests/quests could be viewed in this way,
when the player's stats and skills are taken into account.

Each quest group is three-fold. A triple failure would mean that the faction
denies the player membership. A triple success would mean the faction
welcomes the player eagerly. A 1-2 or 2-1 success ratio, with the right
stats and skills, could result in a grudging sort of acceptance and less
exciting quest rewards (items, experience, training)