The following is copied from the Windows NT V.3.7 Admin guide

Periodically the database size and internal organization can develop to where
it is no
longer internally efficient. To improve database performance, the database can
be
unloaded and re-loaded in an optimal manner that will:
 Improve the performance of the server database dump and load functions
 Improve the performance of the database audit functions
 Organize the database in an internally optimal manner so that an efficient
amount of
space is used, fragmented page allocations are re-organized, and the
performance of
long-running scans of the database is improved.
See "Compressing the Database" on page 425 for more information.
The database and recovery log buffer pool sizes can also affect TSM
performance. A
larger database buffer pool can improve performance, and a larger recovery log
buffer
pool reduces how often the server forces records to the recovery log.