From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager <ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU> On Behalf Of Stefan
Folkerts
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 6:17 AM
To: ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] CONTAINER pool experiences

* This email originated outside of the organization. Use caution when opening
attachments or clicking links. *

Zoltan,

I'm not sure I understand your issues, we use directory containerpools for all
but a few of our Spectrum Protect customers and it's miles ahead of what the
fileclass-based storagepool bring in terms of performance, Spectrum Protect
database impact (size wise). Yes, it isn't capable of certain, until then
standard Spectrum Protect storagepool functions but for backup data on disk I
think nothing beats it, maybe even in any product I've ever used.

Of course you can't write Spectrum Protect database backups to it, it doesn't
even have a device class and it's most certainly not sequential in any way but
normal database backups are very much able to land in the directory
containerpool and you will enjoy enormous deduplication and compression
benefits, much higher net savings then when using the filepool at any customer
site I've implemented it.

So, could you please explain what you are trying to do that doesn't work?

Regards,
   Stefan

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 3:49 PM Zoltan Forray <zfor...@vcu.edu> wrote:

> Thanks for all the comments/suggestions and a somewhat consensus to
> avoid directory/containers.
>
> We decided to at least get our "feet wet" and play with
> directory/containers on our offsite replica-target server (which has
> the
> horsepower) only to realize everything we tried to use it for was
> not-allowed (DB backups from production servers and replication target
> storage pools) and everything we directed to it was redirected to the
> "next stgpool"?
>
> So we are confused - what can you use directory/containers for at the
> 7.1.7.400 server level?  Only real client backups?
>

> On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 11:40 AM PAC Brion Arnaud <
> arnaud.br...@panalpina.com> wrote:
>
> > Zoltan,
> >
> > If I understood well, your storage is Isilon based : in this case do
> > not even think of using CONTAINER pools, as performance will be horrible.
> > Not much time to talk about this, but to make a very long story
> > short, we are about to dump/trash /resell the brand new Isilon
> > arrays we bought  8 months ago, and to replace them with direct
> > attached storage (Storwize),
> as
> > we never reached sufficient performance levels. Cases have been
> > opened
> with
> > IBM and EMC as well, to no result at all, beside a suspected block
> > size issue which would refrain the Isilons to work at expected speed.
> > If you plan to go for such a hardware configuration, my only advice is :
> > run away, as fast as you can !
> >
> > Cheers.
> >
> > Arnaud

**CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE** This electronic message contains information from
Southeastern Grocers, Inc and is intended only for the use of the addressee.
This message may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or
exempt from disclosure under applicable Law. This message may not be read,
used, distributed, forwarded, reproduced or stored by any other than the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete and
notify the sender.