Eric, Christian,

Our enemy here is known as WFP, or Windows File Protection, the purpose of which is to
ensure that core system files (typically DLL's in %WINNT%\system32) are kept
consistent. My bare understanding of this tells me that Windows keeps a cache of these
files (%WINNT%\system32\dllcache) and if anything tries to copy over a known good
.dll, it simply whips it away and replaces it with one of the 'good' ones from the
dllcache directory. It will tell you that it's done this, and typically leaves an
entry in the event log thus:

"The Windows Installer service cannot update the system file <file name> because the
file is protected by Windows. You may need to update your operating system for this
program to work correctly. Package version: <number>, OS Protected version: <number>"

This MS KB article tells us that not even Windows Installer can circumvent this, only
a Service Pack, or a Security Patch -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303970 - which is why we need
to stick on the Service Pack manually prior to TSM Restore.

Hope that answers your question - I do have a couple of registry hacks which can
temporarily turn WFP off (shhh, don't tell anyone!), one of which is published by MS
but requires a kernel debugger to be attached to the system via a null modem cable!
You can tell that they don't really want anyone to be able to turn this feature off!

Rgds,

David McClelland
Global Management Systems, Reuters Ltd., London