the nudge to switch over, but I was really expecting more people to have
switched.

I think the people that haven't yet switched fall into two camps.

#1) Eclipse users. A couple years ago I was at a company that wrote Eclipse
plugins, so you can imagine that I'm a pretty big fan of Eclipse. I had
never tried IntelliJ at all prior to Android Studio. Switching seemed of
dubious value, even though I had heard from a lot of Java developers that
IntelliJ was superior. Having now made the switch, I vastly prefer
IntelliJ. The refactoring tools are better, and the stability of the IDE is
much better. But I think there will be a lot of developers that no matter
what the feature set of the Android tools just don't want to learn IntelliJ
after years of using Eclipse. I have never met anyone that has used
IntelliJ extensively but still prefers Eclipse, but I have met many that
simply have never used IntelliJ and don't want to invest the time to learn
something new. I don't think there is much the Android tools team can do
about getting this group of people to switch other than officially killing
off the Eclipse plugin. Some people won't be happy, but you can't please
everyone.

#2) Those that think Android Studio + Gradle are not yet stable enough. I
think this is the bulk of those that haven't yet switched, and I think this
is largely a result of the messaging from the tools team.

My personal experience has been extremely positive. My team was trying out
Studio after each release since I/O 2013, and we started getting everything
in our app working sometime in August 2013. We switched our master branch
over to Gradle and all team members switched to Android Studio in about
October 2013. Since then we have been using Android Studio all day every
day for production work and haven't looked back. We have lost maybe 2 full
days spread over the last 8 months to fixing things after changes to the
Gradle plugin causing us to have to rework our build files. That is not a
big deal in light of the fact that all of the features in Gradle have saved
us a massive amount of time: switching our dependencies to Maven instead of
git submodules, package naming, build config, build variants, etc. Perhaps
most importantly, Android Studio itself is significantly more stable today
than Eclipse + ADT ever was.

But up until I/O 2014 the developer.android.com documentation was
effectively a link to the download page with a big red warning that this
wasn't for production use. A lot of people are taking that at face value
and not even trying Studio. The "beta" tag and better documentation that
was posted will help, but I still don't think it is enough. The impression
of Studio from those that haven't tried it is that it crashes all the time,
or that Gradle changes all the time (and yes, it changes, but generally
it's not hard to keep up with).

Android Studio is the better option for production development today. From
what I can tell, most of the really good teams are using Android Studio +
Gradle or IntelliJ + Maven already. If it's good enough for the use of
teams making apps for millions of users, then we shouldn't be discouraging
developers from using Studio. I think larger teams have the resources to
try out multiple build systems and IDEs and do their own cost/benefit
analysis. Generally the conclusion is that Studio is better than
Eclipse/ADT/Ant, and a polished IntelliJ + Maven setup is comparable or
better than Studio at this time. But individual developers and new entrants
to the platform don't have that luxury. They go by what the documentation
recommends, and right now, even with the changes after I/O 2014, I think it
pushes people towards Eclipse + ADT.

That is unfortunate because individual developers and hobbyists will
benefit the most from Studio + Gradle. The ease of pulling in dependencies
& leveraging libraries is highly valuable to newcomers to the community.
All of the additional Android refactoring tools & the improved visual
design tools makes individual developers more productive and eliminate
bugs. And learning 2 tools over the next 2 years is a waste of time for
people that are already trying to learn the entire Android platform. *I
think Google is being overly conservative with pushing the new tools and
dramatically underestimating the costs of the current status quo. *

I think Google should make it clear that they endorse Studio over
Eclipse+ADT for use today. I imagine there was a lot of thought put into
the exact wording on the developers site, but "[Studio] will be the
official Android IDE once it's ready" is not a strong vote of confidence.
In my opinion, in addition to the wording about the fact that in the future
it will be the official IDE, it should be clear that it is in use by many
developers already and that the Studio is plenty stable (in fact, more
stable than Eclipse). The only downside to using Gradle is that the API is
evolving and you sometimes have to update your build.gradle files. That's
not a big ask from developers in the context of everything else that is
constantly evolving in the ecosystem.

And if Google intends to sunset Eclipse+ADT when Studio is "ready", that
should be in the current messaging as well. Right now the cost/benefit
question is 'are the new features worth the cost of learning a new tool'.
If you know that you will have to switch eventually, then it changes your
thought process to 'well I have to learn this someday anyway, and I'll get
the new features today'.