Hey Sriram,

Sriram Narayanan wrote:
> Most Linux "users" I interact with have been using "inux distros for a
> very long time and are either professional sysadmins, or developers
> who work at various layers of the stack :)

I guess that puts us in different worlds then or at least different ends
of the spectrum!

Most of the guys I deal with either want something different from
Windows or OSX, or alternatively need Linux for some other reason such
as simple server deployments. The guys that have been experts in Linux
usually know more then one OS so either BSD or Solaris.

It can be so hard and frustrating sometimes actually trying to teach
people the difference between say ext3, zfs, and fat32/ntfs........ much
more so when using a non-English language too as now where I migrated
myself to has English to an extent but unfortunately not the people I
know. :-) uh hehe...

> Also, a person may be excellent at one technology but a newbie at
> something else.

Hey look at me good example right here! :-)

Found things really difficult when I started back in Feb 2009 with
Solaris...... but had been using Linux for a few years. But I think this
is also slight business psychology too where companies generally either
use Linux or Solaris in many parts of the world but not both together. I
guess that's what really defines what people know as the average
statement I have heard lately is "why should I learn something else when
I can't make any money with it".

> For the past three months, I've been interacting every weekend with
> some user group or the other, and their inputs are useful for us in
> improving Belenix.
>
> -- Sriram

Belenix is really cool but I don't need to say that anyway :-D

To be honest thought I think Belenix is definitely getting there in
terms of a good 'all-round' Linux alternative. Once 0.8 goes stable and
I manage to get better internet then 512kbps and manage to get the
Gnome2 packages - things will be awsome. I think the combination of
having KDE4 build and Gnome2 build with a lush repo filled with glorious
packages of all natures is what will definitely give the Linux guys
something to think about and ultimately consider changing over; not to
mention all the other benefits of Solaris as well.

Regards,

Kaya

P.s. I really wish there would be meetings like this over in Turkey!! Ok
I've just moved here and it's been about 1.5 months but it would really
do wonders out here if one could aim at the right place since the market
here is 99.99% filled with pirated MS products. .....I really need to
start getting more involved -somehow! :-)