After watching the videos about the Sun / Oracle merger, I would be
interested to hear people's views on the furture of Solaris and Open
Solaris.

I am concerned that Oracle may turn Solaris into a closed 'appliance'
Operating system which will eventually lead to Solaris disappearing from the
general purpose Unix OS landscape.

I am also having really grave concerns for the future of OpenSolaris. There
was no mention anywhere about Oracle's investment in OpenSolaris as a
forefront for pushing development into the primary Solaris OS.

Is OpenSolaris going to be killed off and will Solaris also be killed as a
general purpose OS in the years to come..

Has anyone had any official statement from Oracle on what it will do with
OpenSolaris??

I really hate to say this but should I begin focusing at Linux as the
general purpose OS of the future from a career perspective. I really hope
not!

Cheers
Richard