Hi all!
My comments, between lines.

On Thu, 2010-01-28 at 20:50 -0500, Matthew Nawrocki wrote:
> Well... although I did congratulate Oracle on the acquisition of
> Sun... I am worried a bit myself as well. But, keep in mind that,
> since OpenSolaris is open source, I have no doubt that the project
> will spin off from Oracle and persist anyway (albeit w/o extensive
> funding and Oracle sponsored development). But that is just my
> perception...
>
> Matt Nawrocki
> OSUG Leader
> Pittsburgh, PA
>
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 8:45 PM, Richard Frost
> <richard.j.frost at gmail.com> wrote:
>         After watching the videos about the Sun / Oracle merger, I
>         would be interested to hear people's views on the furture of
>         Solaris and Open Solaris.
>
>         I am concerned that Oracle may turn Solaris into a closed
>         'appliance' Operating system which will eventually lead to
>         Solaris disappearing from the general purpose Unix OS
>         landscape.

There is a really big customer base using Solaris, and a lot of SPARC
machines all around the world. If those are Oracle plans, they will take
several years to concrete.
They are companies that spent several 10's of millions of dollars buying
new Sun Sparc machines last year, because of its virtualization
features, and performance levels. Imagine the negative impact of telling
those really *big* companies they did the worst choice. Would not be a
good step for Oracle.

>         I am also having really grave concerns for the future of
>         OpenSolaris. There was no mention anywhere about Oracle's
>         investment in OpenSolaris as a forefront for pushing
>         development into the primary Solaris OS.

I lead the Argentina OpenSolaris Users Group. Some hundreds of people
are registered in our site, and we receive several of them in our
meetings. It's an Open Source community. Even knowing that both
companies are merging, we try to keep in mind that OpenSolaris now is
like an emancipated boy: it's old enough to live without his parent's
help.
We must focus on this aspects. Support the efforts of Oracle in case
they decide to continue the same policy Sun did, and continue the
development of our great OS in any case.

>         Is OpenSolaris going to be killed off and will Solaris also be
>         killed as a general purpose OS in the years to come..
>
>         Has anyone had any official statement from Oracle on what it
>         will do with OpenSolaris?

The only I know is that Oracle is very excited about how our communities
are working. Oracle communities are dedicated mostly to the customers.
Our are oriented from people of any company (not only Sun and Oracle) to
the community as we know today.
I hope this will not be only a feeling, then being translated into
concrete actions.