On Saturday 01 July 2006 08:57, Peter Scott wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 23:01:46 +0300, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > Adam Kennedy and I used MediaWiki for win32.perl.org and the Perl-Begin's
> > wikis respectively. It's my favourite wiki engine by far, and it's
> > probably the wiki engine with most wikitext there written in (by property
> > of being used in Wikipedia, and many other wikis). It's written in PHP
> > and requires a MySQL database, but that shouldn't matter much to us:
> >
> > http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2000/12/advocacy.html [2]
> >
> > It is derived from UseModWiki, which is a nice easy-to-install and use
> > wiki written in Perl, which has become relatively unmaintained by its
> > author. UseModWiki has a fork called Oddmuse which should be better. (and
> > is also written in Perl). Now the MediaWiki syntax is backwards
> > compatible with the UseMod/Oddmuse wikis' one, albeit it has many more
> > extensions. I have once installed UseModWiki, but did not try Oddmuse
> > yet.
>
> When I wanted a wiki I considered MediaWiki but went with TWiki because it
> is pure perl, doesn't require a database, and AFAICT has just as many
> capabilities as MediaWiki.  Plus it was a lot easier for me to write
> plugins and ancillary applications for given my level of Perl expertise vs
> my level of PHP expertise, which may be a factor for other folk
> maintaining your wiki.

Yes, TWiki is pretty nice too. It seems to be maintained again:

http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/TWiki04/TWikiReleaseNotes04x00x00

Last time I checked it was relatively hard to install, but not impossible see:

http://www.shlomifish.org/open-source/bits.html

Also, its code was reported to be of very bad quality, a situation which may
have improved in the later version. I heard some criticisms of the quality of
the MediaWiki code too. TWiki has many nice extensions like a Calendar, etc.
which even kwiki still lacks. MoinMoin used to have an extensions' page but I
can no longer find it there.

TWiki will also be nice for wiki.perl.org. Nevertheless, it was not the main
issue of the email (which I admit that I also diverted from). The real issue
is whether or not we should have such a wiki. What implementation we are
going to use for it can be decided upon later.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

bottom 5%.