I've been reading this thread with interest because in another thread
where I was asking about which performance reports (keyword, managed
placement, automatic placement, ad performance) needed to be combined
to come up with the same account-level totals that are reported in the
account performance report.  One of the postings there indicated that
I needed to include automatic placements, which of course is
problematic at the moment via the API.

So here is my question, which I realize is more of an adWords question
than an API question, but trust me that I've been through all the
adWords help screens that I can consume, and cannot find a definitive
answer to this question:

In the "old days" there was just the search network and the content
network, and performance information for the content network came back
in the keyword reports for a given adgroup with the keyword "content"
inserted.  One row of data for each day.  Life was simple.

Placements came along around 2 or so years ago and brought increased
control over the serving done by the content network, via Placement
Targeting.  The keyword reports were renamed Keyword/Placement
reports, and continued to show the activity, but now for placement
targeted serving activity the name of the placement was used as the
keyword.  Life was still good.

Now (today) we have a few terms being used that seem to be overlapping
or identical.  "Targeted Placements" are now "Managed Placements" as
far as I can tell.  Are "Automatic Placements" the same as what were
once just called "content" ads and also sometimes in the current
adWords documents called "contextual" ads?  Or are there three buckets
of network activity: Contextutual, Managed Placement, Automatic
Placement, and if so are they distinct or overlapping?

Thanks for helping to clear this up in mind!
Reed