Thank you very much for your reply Zweitze, this does help a bit but it
does not quite solve our problem (you'd think it would though!) - here's
why:

I've finally managed to get around to trying out this report and I can see
it has ClickId, but this does not appear to match up to the gclid
parameter. I was banking on storing the gclid passed along in the URL and
later matching it up when we download the list of clicks from Google later.

Additionally I have run it on one of our campaigns and the number of rows
(i.e. clicks) returned in the click performance report has 40 *more* clicks
than is shown for the account in the Adwords web interface. I understand of
course that we may have more visits than there were clicks due to spidered
Google results etc., but reconciling them means we can instantly mark them
as no spend because we'll know Google didn't actually charge us (because
that click wasn't actually from Google at all), but I don't understand why
even Google's own record of clicks is different.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of how we might reconcile/match the
clicks reported on in Adwords to our internal record of each visit? Or
maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks
James