Hello, I'm trying to use TargetingIdeaService with specific cities /
regions within a state and to conduct searchvolume lookups on my keywords.
I'm running just one location at a time to keep things simple and I'm using
the most recent Geographical Targeting database for the Adwords API located
here: https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/appendix/geotargeting

When I conduct searches on some of the criterion id's (mostly smaller
cities), even though its clearly active in the database, I get an error
stating that the location is invalid. Snipped from SOAP log file:

<faultstring>[TargetingIdeaError.INVALID_SEARCH_PARAMETERS @
selector.searchParameters[1].locations[0];
trigger:'LocationSearchParameter']</faultstring>

In particular, it seems the location I used is the source of the error. For
this example, I used ID 1012884 which maps to "Eagle River,Alaska,United
States". Even manually doing a search in Keyword Planner for "Eagle
River,Alaska,United States" as a specific location, I get no matching region
from the web interface so I can see why the API is failing. However, the
current geographical targeting database shows this location to be valid, but
the API doesn't seem to recognize it. I tried with other criterion id's for
major cities and I got the correct result, but for small cities and regions, it
seems not all the ID's are actually valid despite being marked as active in the
Geographical Targeting database I downloaded.

Is there a way to get a list of criterion id's that are
active/working/recognized by the API or at least a way to filter out the ID's
that will cause an error?

Thank you

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/adwords-api/2ab0690f-cb91-4a94-bd71-41855affe6b7%40googlegroups.com.
  • TargetingIdeaS... Charles Michael
    • Re: Targe... Anthony Madrigal
      • Re: T... Charles Michael
        • R... Nadine Sundquist (AdWords API Team)
          • ... Charles Michael
            • ... 'Nadine Sundquist (AdWords API Team)' via AdWords API Forum