The source material is definitely key.  Some of the HD offerings are better
mastered than the original (more dynamic range for example), but when those
HD tracks are (properly) converted down to 16-bit 44.1 khz, double blind
tests have shown they sound just as good.

Here is a good article on the subject.

https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html