If you're the government, the auction gives you funding.
If you're the carrier, the auction gives you exclusive access, which makes a return on investment easier.  And yes those spectrum rights are a valuable asset which they can sell and trade.

All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

These rules also come from a time when there weren't thousands of wireless operators.  If there are only 3 people at the negotiating table then of course the rules are written to address them.