Oh this is an easy answer.

At 12V, the AC2117 is dropping about 8 of those volts.
8V*400mA=3.2W.   Thermal resistance to the heatsink on this part is
100C/W.   So with a room temperatureish heatsink at 30*C, you're going
to end up with a junction temperature of  100C/W * 3.6W = 320C + 30*C
= 350C.    This is above the absolute maximum operating temperature
range of 150*C.

The most you can draw through this with an 8V drop and an appropriate
heatsink not exceeding 150*C (I'm assuming it gets a bit warm) is 150C
- 50C = 100C.   100C/W means this part can dissipate at most 1W with
an adequate heatsink.   This equates to 1W/8V = 125mA max with a 12V
input voltage.

If you don't have an adequate heatsink or the temperature gets higher
this is even lower, since the rating without a heatsink is 125C/W.

Note that this isn't a problem off of USB because the AZ2117 doesn't
drop much voltage, so even at 1V of drop, you'd only have
1V*400mA=400mW of power dissipation, and the unit should be able to
handle this even without a heatsink.

ALSO:  Could you clarify here if the USB is the preferred input?  If
not, one could rip out IC2, R26, R3 and Q1 and replace it with another
diode.
ALSO: Not sure why the indicator leds are done the way they are - they
probably work, but seems like overkill.

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 12:14 PM can...@believewireless.net

> Schematics attached. The main issue I'm having is when powered via USB,
> everything works fine. When powered via a 12V car battery, the
> chips seem to not have enough power. There are two comparator circuits, one
> to monitor USB/Batt and report how the unit is being powered.
> The 2nd actually provides the power. One chip will occasionally draw
> ~150-400ma of power causing the board to lock up. Chips are powered
> via Vin.
>
> What I don't understand is why everything works perfectly on USB but has
> issues when powered via 12V.
>
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 11:53 AM <ch...@wbmfg.com> wrote:
>>
>> Circle of stability, miller capacitance all good stuff.

- Forrest