According to a follow up article to that exact question... No sprinklers because they didn't want to compromise the structure with the construction and electrical (???) that would be required. They limited the modifications to just the smoke detectors that were installed. They had a fireman that was a 24/7/265 manned post at the church. They got a detection 1/2 hour! before the actual visible fire and sent someone up to the forest to check and reported no smoke or fire. They also stated they were more worried about the risks of putting electric up in the attic being the largest risk of fire. But what electric is required for a sprinkler system? Valves? I would think that figuring out where to run the pipes would be an issue. I believe a lot of the walls are single surface stone. Seems you would have to run the pipes up the bell towers and then above the stone ceiling and that would be a LOT of weight to add to the structure unless you were running dry pipe and then you would need the electrical. But even a manual dry pipe system, even small capacity, would have better than what a friend called, "A burning man architecture"...