It sounds like the expectation is that the liability for accidents caused
by self-driving cars will rest on the manufacturer.  The car itself will
also be 'licensed' to drive, and not necessarily the passenger in the
"driver's seat".

I expect the auto insurance business to take a drastic hit at the point
self-driving is widespread.

- Forrest