For sectors we like to assemble the standoffs on the ground and pre-mount the antennas.  On the ground we can take the time to measure precisely and make sure the antennas are at the correct angles relative to each other.  Then tell the tower guy "mount this plumb and turn the assembly until this sector is facing 0 degrees North." If he's off a smidgen that's ok because the sectors are all off by the same amount and we still get full coverage.

On 2/19/2020 12:18 PM, Ken Hohhof wrote:

I could see it for APs, especially if you are going to these narrow beam horns.

For backhaul links, especially licensed links, I would just use a multimeter on the BNC connector if the radio has one, or the alignment tool in the GUI otherwise.  Maybe it would make sense to prealign the dishes before final tweaking for best signal, but Chuck’s rifle scope method is probably better for that.  That’s the only one I would trust enough not to tweak the alignment once the radios are linked up.

But back to sectors, I will admit I probably have some that are supposed to be spaced every 60 or 90 degrees but in actuality are off by 2-5 degrees.  Not really a huge deal, but probably suboptimum.

*From:* AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> *On Behalf Of *ch...@wbmfg.com
*Sent:* Wednesday, February 19, 2020 10:58 AM
*To:* AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group <af@af.afmug.com>
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] Advice on spending

I had a project, still have a project to build one.

Not trivial because the baseline between the two GPS receivers is very short.

Maybe I will finish it someday.

If you buy one, let me “borrow it for a few days”...

Elevation is very simple.  You can buy a cheap electronic level from any hardware store to nail the elevation.

Then all you gotta do is sweep and peak.

I have not talked to anyone that has used one of these things.

If you can find a landmark along the path and use a scope for azimuth you will be dead on for a lot less money.