I think people who like attention and try to impress people, live the most
miserable lives. Those with the most true success typically avoid the
limelight and attention because they're too busy succeeding and changing
the world.

So the jocks or whoever you're referencing peak in highschool. After
graduating, they don't get too far as they don't rule the kingdom of
anymore once they reach the adult world.

Of course this is a stereotype not everyone fits but I'd say there's a 50%
chance it holds true.

I was picked in the last half for dodgeball mostly because I can't throw
the ball hard or accurately. I never got bullied and our school was small
enough everyone knew everyone. One thing I did notice is about 5 of the top
10 smartest people GPA wise aren't doing anything with their life yet at 28
years old. One is working at target as a stocker, another works as a hotel
desk clerk, another is a tutor and part time piano teacher. These were
people with 3.99 or 4.0 GPA's and they went to a 4 year college. I think
some people get into such a routine in K-12 that they don't know what to do
without structure after they graduate. And the cliques are gone too so they
don't have friends building up their confidence.