I have known some sales engineers and field application engineers that have
done very very well.

From: Ken Hohhof
Sent: Sunday, March 29, 2020 12:32 PM
To: 'AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group'
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] OT an honest query

One of my roommates in college was also an engineering student, but not a very
good student.  Later he attributed his success in life to his poor GPA.  He
couldn’t land a regular engineering design job (didn’t help there was a
recession on), so he settled for a job as an applications engineer or sales
engineer.  Within a few years he had his own company.  Probably the most
successful of any in our group.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/wmtjones