In gym class I was never an early draft.  Usually near the last.

I did play on local soccer and football leagues, but never stood out.  I did it because everyone else did it, and the parents said I had to do something extracurricular.  This is a bit of an embarrassing story, but when I joined the local Pop Warner football team I didn't know any of the rules to football.  Soccer was simple to muddle through --kick towards the other goal, don't use hands.  Football has a lot of rules.  The coaches never explained how to actually play and I never asked.  I just sort of tried to emulate the kids around me to get through the games.  I never figured out what a "down" was until I was in high school.

I haven't stayed in touch with any of the school athletes so I couldn't say how they're doing in life.