Yeah, it was pretty amazing. One of the reasons my grandfather got the
academy recommendation is because he built his one generator out of a
tractor motor and sold electricity to his nearby neighbors for $0.25  per
lightbulb/month when he was 17. He grew up in a house with a dirt floor and
no electricity in eastern KY with 13 brothers and sisters. His father was a
cooper. He was a huge influence on my life. I think sometimes it takes
upbringings like yours and his to really foster that creative "gene". When
you  have to build or make everything you have, you teach yourself a lot.