Yes.

Pig fat is lard.  Bacon grease is pig fat, but salt and smoke flavored.  I have, in fact, made biscuits with bacon grease.  They taste freakin awesome.  If you do car camping you cook your bacon first, the use some of the oil for biscuits, and then for frying your flapjacks and eggs and hash.  Then hopefully you hike 20 miles to burn all that off.  Or you sit and drink beer all day and get fat, there's more than one style of camping and I'm not here to judge.

Crisco shortening is made from vegetable oil.  I'm not sure how they make it into a solid at room temperature.  I seem to think that's what "hydrogenating" does, but I'm fuzzy on that.  In any case it's a cheaper substitute for animal fat in cooking.  Lard is the OG cooking oil.

On 4/9/2020 11:04 PM, Ken Hohhof wrote:

I think lard is basically fat.  To my mom, shortening was Crisco.  To my grandmother, shortening was lard.  If I remember right, lard is pig fat, tallow is beef fat.

But bacon grease should be fine.  In fact, as pig fat, bacon grease IS lard.  Your biscuits might taste like bacon, but what’s wrong with that?

*From:* AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> *On Behalf Of *Steve Jones
*Sent:* Thursday, April 9, 2020 9:21 PM
*To:* AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group <af@af.afmug.com>
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] OT: Bean & Cheese Burrito Filling?

Is shortening lard?

Can bacon. Grease be substituted

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020, 8:59 PM Ken Hohhof <af...@kwisp.com <mailto:af...@kwisp.com>> wrote:

    I noticed the shortening in the Jiffy apple cinnamon mix I made
    with dinner is lard.  Use by date was 3 months ago.  I was a bit
    reticent given the lard, but they tasted fine.

    How many vegetarians think lard comes from plants?  I don’t know,
    with all the plant meat and plant milk, maybe they’ll come out
    with plant lard.